Our Aboriginal Health services
Our Aboriginal Health Access Team is committed to improving the health and well being of Aboriginal people and their communities.
Our programs are made to empower Aboriginal people about health and well being in a culturally appropriate and safe way.
“I’d just like to say a huge thank you to the lady at the Armidale office who assisted us today with my mum getting to her specialist appointment in Newcastle for tomorrow. Your help is really appreciated and I just want to say thank you and for making things easy for us during this hard time.”
HealthWISE Aboriginal Health Services
Integrated Team Care
Helping you manage your chronic disease and medical appointments
HealthWISE may be able to help you with:
- Coordinating your medical appointments
- Financial assistance for you to attend Specialist and Allied Health Professionals
- Assist with transport options to attend medical appointments
- Link you in with other organisations that may be able to assist you further
Ask your GP to refer you to this service
or contact us on (02) 6766 1394
Primary Health Care
Helping you access and attend primary health care education and programs
HealthWISE may be able to help you with:
- Indigenous fitness programs
- Healthy lifestyle programs
- Assist with transport options to attend primary healthcare programs
- Support to access primary health
- Link you in with other organisations that maybe able to assist you further
Contact us to access this service on (02) 6766 1394
“We only have to identify a child with health needs and refer them to the HealthWISE team and everything gets taken care of.”
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health
HealthWISE Indigenous Mental Health Program
What the program offers: Therapeutic intervention counselling services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community experiencing mild to moderate Mental Health symptoms. That may be impacting on their Social and Emotional Wellbeing in day to day life.
Who can access the program: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community.
Method of receiving support:
- We can provide Face to Face, Phone and Skype counselling.
- Program assists in trying to get counselling services to the community, closer to where client resides, depending on locations and resources available to us.
- Indigenous mental health services providing focused Psychological Strategies is currently being offered in Ipswich, Scenic Rim, Somerset, South Burnett and Cherbourg Regions in QLD and in NSW, we provide Indigenous Care Coordination & Group Mental Health Services in Bingara and Barraba, Inverell, Tenterfield, Tamworth, Glen Innes, Walcha, Liverpool Plains and Armidale.
There are 2 ways you can refer to HealthWISE:
1. Mental Health Care Plans.
- If you are on or need a Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP), talk to your GP and they can assist with your Referral and Consent Form.
- If you are engaged with service/organisation, they may be able to assist you with accessing MHCP and referral.
– Fax to 1300 452 059 or email to email@example.com.
- If GP or Services requires further information they can contact 1800 931 540
2. Self-Referrals – Criteria
- You must be over 18 years old- not currently on MHCP you can self-refer
- If under 18 years old, require consent from Parents/Guardians for referral
- If working with service/organisation they may help with referral.
- Contact us on (02) 6766 1394 or 1800 931 540 and ask to speak to the Indigenous Mental Health Team for help with your self-referral
If you require any further information contact 1800 931 540
HealthWISE is not a CRISIS Service and if someone is Self Harming or at RISK of HARM please call the Hospital or Police on 000 immediately.
Aboriginal Health & Wellbeing Programs
HealthWISE has a registered COVID-19 Safety Plan with the NSW Government and is committed to keeping you safe.
As part of the plan, we ensure all our services, events and programs include:
– Physical distancing
– Hygiene and cleaning
– Record keeping
– Wellbeing of staff and customers